These artefacts are all from the Sidwell Street area and are stored at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum (RAMM) in Exeter. They were photographed by the St Sidwell’s heritage team in 2016 with the kind permission of RAMM.
Highly decorative truncheon with silver inscription mounts. The label reads: “Truncheon of a constable of the East Without Ward, St Sidwell’s Parish, Exeter. Bears crown, Royal Arms, GR III silver top with an inscription: ‘The gift of the Constables of the East Without Ward of the City of Exeter to their Hon. Cap. H. Brailey, May 21st, 1816’”
A medal made of metal. This and several others were given to members of St. Sidwell’s Guild.
The guild was a Bible study group that met on Mondays at a house in Summerland Crescent.
Wooden bird scarer or watchman’s rattle with a handle like a football rattle. The age is unknown but it was possibly donated to RAMM by the owner of the New Coach and Horses pub at 147 Sidwell Street.
Badly rusted horseshoe found at Lion’s Holt. It is allegedly Saxon or Danish, but probably 1800s.
Oak Beam Fragment
This slab of Oak was cut from one of the beams from a well.
The text reads: ‘This slab of oak was cut from one of the roof beams, which formed the support, or platform, on which the walls of the stone building which covered the well rested, and which prevented it from sinking in the swampy ground. By an entry in the Books of the Chapter a portion of the water of this spring was granted to the citizens of Exeter, by Dean Serlo, in 1228.’
Twenty small wood cut printing blocks of a scientific nature, probably used to represent products in an ironmongers sales catalogue. Kelly’s directory 1910 records an ironmonger (Damerel, John & Son) at 161 Sidwell Street.
This was found on the pavement outside the graveyard in 1977.
Pub tokens, both from the St. Sidwells area. Both are possibly from the late 1800s or early 1900s.
Dated as either Tudor or Stuart. This is a wool comb, which was found at the Old Coach and Horses Inn, in Sidwell Street. It was used to comb wool into strands ready for use.
Stoneware Bellarmine Jugs
Two Bellarmine jugs from the Sidwell Street area. Fragments from Bellarmine or ‘Bartmann’ jugs are quite common in Exeter but these two are complete and show the typical bearded face found on these jugs. They date from the post-medieval period (1500-1750).