Hans Feibusch was born in Frankfurt on 15th August 1898 into a Jewish family. He served with the German army on the Russian front from 1916-18. After the war had ended he studied art in Munich, eventually working in Berlin, Paris, and then Frankfurt, where he won a prize from Prussian Academy of Arts in 1931 for his painting ‘The Fishmonger’.
He emigrated to England in 1933 after the Nazi Party gained control of Germany. Here he joined the London Group of Artists in 1934, and married Sidonie Cramer in 1935. He has been responsible for several public murals, the first was called ‘The Footwashing, which was commissioned for the New Methodist Hall in Colliers Wood in 1937. Feibusch swore an oath of allegiance to the British crown in 1940. His works were first exhibited at the Royal Academy in the summer of 1944.
After the war, Feibusch became renowned for church artistry, his work being used in about 30 churches throughout England. A selection of examples are Chichester Cathedral, St. Alban the Martyr in Holburn, St. Elisabeth’s Eastbourne, St. Wilfred’s Brighton, St. Mark’s Coventry, and of course St. Sidwell’s Exeter. The mural at St. Sidwell’s Church, painted in 1958, is on the east wall and is now covered over. On the first floor there are now flats, and on the ground floor there is now a kitchen. At this level the mural is protected by metal plates. Below is a pencil drawing for Christ in Glory.
Examples of non-religious work by Feibusch are in civic buildings in Dudley and Newport. He died at the Royal Free Hospital in Camden, London on July 18th, 1998, exactly 4 weeks short of his 100th birthday. He left the entire contents of his studio to the Pallant House Gallery in Chichester. Having reverted back to the Jewish faith in his later life, he was buried in Golders Green Jewish Cemetery.