Boundary Wall

St Sidwell’s Community Centre is encircled by a stone wall, mainly constructed of Heavitree stone. Local historic buildings expert Stuart Blaylock surveyed the wall to try and give us an idea of its date. It is most likely that the wall was constructed during the 1812 rebuild of the church, with some later post war rebuilding. Here’s an extract from Stuart Blaylock’s report on the boundary wall: “The boundary wall on the Sidwell Street frontage is built of squared blocks of Permian breccia (sometimes called Heavitree stone) with a very occasional block or Permian volcanic trap (the purplish volcanic lava
Read More

Categories: Boundary Wall and The Church.