Watch our step-by-step guide to making pork meatballs in tomato sauce. You can download the recipe as a pdf here, or view it below the video.
For the meatballs
400g Pork mince
1/2 onion minced
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp reduced homemade chicken stock (optional)
1 tsp salt
1tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the tomato sauce
1 can peeled plum tomatoes
2 sticks celery finely sliced
1/2 onion finely sliced
4 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves sliced garlic
1 tbsp tomato puree
300ml chicken stock
Splash red wine (optional)
Handful of basil
Salt and pepper
- First make the tomato sauce.
- Add the olive oil to a large high sided frying pan and gently fry the sliced garlic for 2 minutes without allowing it to colour.
- Add the onions and celery to the pan.
- Separate the basil stalks from the leaves, finely slice, add to the pan and fry for a couple of more minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and crush with the back of the spoon, bring to the boil and add the red wine, tomato puree and cook out for 5 minutes.
- Now add the chicken stock and let it simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking make the meatballs.
- Place the pork mince in a large bowl, grate or finely slice the onions and add to the pork. Crush the garlic and add to the pork as well.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together with your hands, kneading the mix until all the ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Shape the meatballs by dividing the mix into twelve and rolling into balls.
- Place the uncooked meatballs directly into the simmering tomato sauce, gently so you don’t break them up, shaking the pan to get the sauce on and around the meatballs.
- Turn the heat low, cover the pan and let the meatballs simmer for 40 minutes.
While the meatballs and sauce are cooking prepare a side salad and cook the spaghetti. Serve the spaghetti in a pasta bowl and ladle over the meatballs and sauce, grate over parmesan to serve.