Have a go at making tarka dal and tandoori style cauliflower by following the video below. Download the recipe here or view it below the video.
Tarka Dal and Tandoori style Cauliflower
180g yellow split chana dal
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 garlic cloves crushed
1 thumb ginger crushed
1.2 litres water
3 tbsp ghee or veg oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dried red chilli
3 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
1 small onion finely chopped
1- 2 medium tomato diced
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
70 grams spinach roughly chopped
Pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan add the water, lentils, garlic and ginger. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 50 minutes until the lentils are very soft and creamy looking.
- To make the tarka, heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium flame and add the cumin seeds and dried chillis, fry for a few seconds until they sizzle.
- Now add the onions and garlic and fry, stirring well, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and let it cook down to become a sauce.
- Add the chilli powder.
- Once the dal is ready add the tarka to the dal and cook together for 5 minutes.
- Finish with salt, sugar and spinach and if the dal is thick add a little hot water to loosen.
Serve with marinated cauliflower (see below) and, if you have used it, extra ghee on top
Tandoori Cauliflower Tikka
2 tbsp thick greek yoghurt
2 tsp flour
4 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of ginger peeled
1 green chilli
1 tsp mild paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
Butter for basting
Juice of half a lemon
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilli to a hand blender or pestle and mortar and blitz or pound together to form a smooth paste.
- Mix the yoghurt with the flour in a bowl to form a thick paste.
- Add all of the spices to the yoghurt and the garlic/ ginger paste, plus a teaspoon of salt.
- Stir well, tip in the cauliflower pieces and make sure every piece of cauliflower is coated well in the marinade.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and roast the cauliflower pieces in the oven for 15 minutes.